AMN420 Advertising Management
Assessment 2: Perceptual Mapping Analysis Report Task Instructions
Weighting: 25% of grade
Length: Report should not exceed 1,200 words (10% over/under is acceptable)
Formatting: APA formatting of report and references is required
The assignment: Overview
The major goal of this survey project is to create a perceptual map(s). The construction of perceptual maps helps advertising/marketing strategists better understand the positioning of their brand and the positioning of their competitors’ brands in consumers’ mind, not the advertisers’ mind. Commonly, a brand’s position is the way in which consumers perceive the brand on features (attributes) relative to competing brands. However, the method of perceptual mapping is not limited to attributes. You may consider consequences, values, and others (e.g., feminine vs. masculine, usage context, etc.)
For the project, students are to conduct a survey. Each student is required to survey (about 10 minutes) about 5-10 adults who have used the product (Note: The target segment is desirable). Students are responsible to choose:
· 2-4 other competing brands in the product category, and
· 4-5 dimensions (e.g., attributes, consequences, values, or others) as evaluation criteria (more can be selected if you prefer).
Prior interview findings/insights and secondary research may help the selection of dimensions. Students need to provide their respondents with a participant information sheet. However, a consent form for them is not required. Students are to inform participants that survey submission is deemed to be consent to take part in the research. Upon survey completion, students analyse the data. Students are then to write up a report for submission of the assessment.
1. Before the survey:
· Purpose: You must understand the goal(s) of the survey: what is it you wish to know?
· Selection of dimensions and how many: In addition to your secondary research, review your interview findings/insights in order to choose dimensions (e.g., attributes, consequences, values, or something else you think important). Note that the dimensions you select are very critical. Perceptual maps that can provide valuable information for managerial/strategic implications in advertising require insightful or meaningful dimensions. How many dimensions do you need? More than five or six dimensions may not be a good idea if survey respondents do not have much patience. However, if you want to use more than five dimensions, it would be fine. It is up to you.
· Number of competing brands: You need to have 2-4 competing brands.
· Sample: N = 5-10 adults who use the product. The sample size will not affect your grade for the assessment, provided it is within these minimum requirements.
· Questionnaire development: When you finalise the dimensions and brands, it is time to develop a questionnaire (sample questions and survey formats will be presented in tutorial sessions).
· Paper-pencil or online: Either option would be acceptable. If you want to conduct an online survey, consider using Google Forms (https://www.google.com.au/forms/about/) or Survey Monkey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/ both of which are free to use. Since your sample size is small, the paper-pencil method may be easier for many of you.
2. During the survey:
· Thank the participant for agreeing to participate in the survey. Some example scripts are below:
o Thank you for agreeing to participate in this survey. I expect that the complete process will take approximately 10 minutes. Submission of your survey is deemed to be consent to take part in this research (Note: you don’t need to collect a consent form).
· Give the following instruction before you begin interviewing:
o There are no right or wrong answers to the questions that we will discuss. I am simply interested in your opinions and perceptions about brands.
· When finished, thank the participant for their time.
3. After the survey:
· Data analysis: No sophisticated statistical analysis is required for perceptual mapping. All you need is mean values (see sample). Use Excel or SPSS. Students can download the SPSS software from QUT at https://secure.qut.edu.au/ithelpdesk/qut/softwaredownloads/downloads.jsp
· Writing: Finish your report.
The Report Format and Guidelines:
· Page number to be included as a footer on each page
· 1.5 line spacing, with 2.5cm margins
· Consistent font throughout report, including headings (Times New Roman size 12)
· QUT APA 6th referencing is followed consistently across all references (in-text and in reference list) (see QUT Cite|Write website: www.citewrite.qut.edu.au).
· Assignment has been proof-read, checked for spelling errors and grammatical errors.
· Make sure that the report does not exceed 1200 words (up to +10% would be acceptable).
1. Title page (not in word count): Report title, student name, student number, tutor’s name and tutorial time, word count of assignment body (introduction through to limitations).
2. Table of contents (not in word count).
3. Executive summary/abstract: (no more than 150 words, but not part of word count): Provide concise and succinct summary of your report.
4. Introduction: (included in word count): In this section, address the major objective(s) of the research, importance of the research, and scope of the report.
5. Method: (included in word count): Address the research method you use (i.e., quant research + survey). As noted, the selection of dimensions is critical; thus, justify why you have chosen the dimensions. As supporting evidence, you can use the results of Assessment 1, academic journal articles, trade journals, reliable Internet resources. In addition, explain why you have selected the brands in your survey. Address the sampling method used and outline the sample characteristics (e.g., sample size, gender composition, age range, etc.).
6. Analysis: (included in word count): Address the data collection procedure by providing a description of the analysis undertaken and include your summary of mean values of brands/dimensions here (see sample 1). After reviewing all combinations of two-dimensional maps, address key findings that are interesting and meaningful. Don’t present all perceptual maps here. Instead, present a minimum of 2-3 of the important perceptual maps (the ones that tell a story) to facilitate your discussion (see sample 2). Note that all other perceptional maps should be attached in the appendices section.
Sample 1: Mean (standard deviation) values
Note: A 5-point scale is used; “5” is the most positive response.
· Reporting standard deviation is optional. However, you need to understand the meaning of standard deviation in your data.
· You can use a 5 point, 7 point, 9 point or 10 point scale.
Sample 2: A perceptual map
7. Implications: (included in word count): This section is about interpretation of the quantitative data based on the analysis you have undertaken and findings. From the key findings, discuss the managerial and/or strategic implications that are relevant to advertising. The implications may suggest a new advertising campaign idea or positioning strategy.
8. Limitations: (included in word count): Address factors that affect the confidence that you have in your findings/implications.
9. References (not included in word count): List of all cited sources, presented in QUT APA 6th format.
10. Tables/Figures (not included in word count): You must present the following items in your report. Other tables/figures can be included if necessary. Ensure you include the following items:
• A summary of means values table
• Perceptional maps to support findings and implications
11. Appendices (not included in word count):
• Include a sample of the survey/questions used to collect data.
• Provide all other perceptual maps (those not used in the body of the report).
• You may attach other relevant and/or supporting material here, as needed.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.